Friday, August 1, 2014

Learning to lead

I'm a horrible leader.  But I'm an 'okay' researcher so I usually guide projects just how I would do it.  I am really bad at inspiring, making business decisions, and handling group drama.  Part of this is that I'm not very sensitive and pretty straight-forward.  I hate beating around the bush.  And I've never been great at business decisions.  I'm all about what's best for the patient.  The patient-first attitude has gotten me to where I am.  And my research skills (or lack-thereof) combined with group members who are very confident in me and will follow me wherever has given the impression that I can handle a group.

My #2 and successor was asking me how to lead the team.  She wanted one piece of advice.  My advice was "be a great researcher, give the people tons of freedom, and hire the best people...even if you have to go through 100 candidates to find the right fit".  Even though I've been climbing the corporate ladder I know I couldn't climb any further because what I consider my strengths (straight-forwardness, doing what's best for the patient, etc.) are pretty glaring weaknesses in corporate America.

I've realized that the more time I spend in this role the most business-like I become.  I've been having to learn how to lead a business.  I'm hoping I can take some of these fiscal decision-making skills to my academic post but I'm unsure.

2 comments:

  1. I wish my advisor would've spent time learning money management in research. He spends so damn much in all the wrong places and in seeing our lab tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks. This gives you incentive to graduate before the ship sinks. :)

      Delete