Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Life's been nuts!

I saw my old advisor recently and he was very excited about the summer: two conferences, no teaching, all the students spending most of their time on the lab, etc. He said he gets more free time for whatever he wants. I would love that. 

My schedule has been absolutely crazy as of late. I try to keep a few short term goals for every couple months. My current goals include finishing four projects, and trying these out in animals by June 1.  We're on track, but we still have to do bench testing. So I've been working with my techs to get these done so I can try these out ex vivo. This is coupled with some big corporate meetings that are taking a lot of my time. But more importantly, I'm also prepping for conference travels. These are conferences to start building my academic reputation. I can't present work, but I can show up as an industry representative, take professors out for dinner and drinks on the corporate card (their students will have to come to make it a recruiting expense...otherwise it's just stealing money), and talk starting up my own lab. I want to get this kind of research out of the way so as soon as I get there I can start getting equipment. My plan is to go out there a year from now to start recruiting students and finding a house. 

So I've been doing a lot of research at home, started on grants, and even started spewing out exactly the equipment I want to buy. This has been in my off-time, which there isn't much because of these devices I want to get out before I close-up-shop. I also want to really show leadership how I got stuff done, and that they would be stupid not to fund my academic lab. 

So during the day I'm doing R&D, planning studies, traveling, and reporting results. At night I write, read, and plan for my future life (this is in addition to donning a cape a mask for all the crime fighting at night).  I know that the less I plan for now, the more hectic life will be when I'm trying I find a house and set up my lab come next summer.  Too darn busy. 

So while my advisor is relaxing in the tower, I'm preparing to visit the tower while also working in the fields. Part of me wants to just delay all the academic stuff until I start, but I don't want to screw over future-Phindustry. 

This is all packed on top of several social obligations that have arisen recently (weddings, dinners, game-nights, etc). I rely heavily on friends for support. And so I spread myself thinner to ensure friends (and spouse) don't feel ignored. Honestly, these are the only people I care about disappointing. And so I type these blog entries when I'm in public and it's too noisy to get work done. It's the only 'alone' time I have to decompress from obligations.  I don't know how the hyper busy people manage their lives. Do they let something slide?  

My boss is technically a senior citizen and never been married. And I never hear him talking about friends. My fear is that I'll eventually slip into his mindset and be devoid of the things I find most fun in life because I'm too focused on ensuring the career is taken care of. I don't have kids but I liken it to having multiple kids. If you spend too much time on one, the others will fall behind on parental influence. I want a well-rounded family but I find that 24 hours in a day just isn't enough right now. 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know how the hyper busy people manage their lives. Do they let something slide?

    Some rely on hyper-planning. Some delegate/get help. Some let things slide. Most probably do a combination of the three.

    I can tell you that I don't know a single professorial superstar who is also the heavy lifter at the home front. There is someone else at home doing the grocery shopping and picking out carpets and making kids' lunches.

    Also, a lot of people exaggerate how busy they are (I am not referring to you). I recently met with a friend from grad school whom I hadn't seen in a long time; both he and wife work, he works from home, she has a very flexible schedule, and they don't have kids and they earn a lot. During the evening they made sure to let DH and me know, several times, how incredibly busy they are. I was unimpressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my problem is that normally I have a free home life. Spouse and I split the home chores and we are childless. So once 6pm or so hits, I usually get to relax: read, friends, games, etc. But because I've been trying make for a seamless transition while preparing the last projects of mine for human studies my evenings are taken up. I'm not used to diligently working around the clock (emails and miscellaneous phone calls out of working hours don't count), and being busy has messed with my cycle. I'm used to the occasional busy week, but it's usually just a week. This path month has sucked. I'm assuming my level of business is standard for a family with a couple kids; I've just been spoiled on having a good amount of free time whereas now I don't.

      I don't take pride at all in being busy. I freaking hate it.

      Delete
  2. "I recently met with a friend from grad school whom I hadn't seen in a long time; both he and wife work, he works from home, she has a very flexible schedule, and they don't have kids and they earn a lot. During the evening they made sure to let DH and me know, several times, how incredibly busy they are. I was unimpressed."

    From the way this comment is written, it seems that the author is "unimpressed" because the couple doesn't have kids. If they have chosen to fill their life up with work to a degree that author and her husband have not (presumably to avoid ignoring her family), I don't see why not having kids would automatically make them less busy than a couple with kids. I'm so sick of hearing people with kids whine about how they are SO much busier than anybody else! Having kids was a your choice, y'know -- no one held a gun to your head. I'm also so sick of how this is so acceptable in today's society than no one even bats an eye when people do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the kids just happen. Not always a choice. Work was never as busy as work+kids for me. Not even close.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry, but kids don't "just happen." Even if you are staunchly pro-life, there is always adoption. In the civilized world, we are now at a point where kids are most definitely a choice.

      And the point is not whether you yourself are busier post-kids. The point is that you cannot look at the life of a childless person or persons and assume that they are automatically less busy because they don't have kids. Another choice that (reasonable) people often make is to cut back on work involvement in order to make time for their kids. How busy someone is depends on way too many factors to judge by whether they have kids or not. Nevertheless, people keep buying into the stupid stereotype.

      Delete
    3. I agree they shouldn't assume that childless people are less busy. Just like you shouldn't assume it's easy to give up an unplanned child to adoption. But for me, I work the same amount, and had to add child-work on top of that, so I'm more busy.

      Delete
    4. My mom raised myself and my sibling. And she was definitely busy 40+ hours a week. If she had to work on top of that, I really don't think I would've came out the way I have. This reminds me to call her on Sunday...

      Delete
  3. @Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM:

    Where did I say giving up your child is easy?! As hard as it may be, it is, however, still a choice. I firmly believe that kids are better off with parents that truly want them and are willing to make time for them. Some people are not willing to compromise their careers one bit for their kids -- and most of these people wisely *choose* not to have kids for this reason. It's not my choice, but I see nothing wrong with that.

    And that doesn't make them automatically less busy, which was the point of my first comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't we all just realize that some people are busy, some aren't, and some lie about it? Who cares if someone assumes you are more or less busy (kids or sans kids)? Just live your own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It matters because sometimes the people making these assumptions are your boss. But if you feel this issue is simply not important enough to discuss, you can start by abstaining from commenting.

      Delete