Friday, May 9, 2014

Requesting vacation time

When I took my industry job I ended up with 2.5 weeks of vacation time in my first year. Coming from grad school this was actually kind of low so I ended up using every second. After the first year I was promoted to a pay grade where we're required to have 4 allocated weeks regardless of time with the company (typically promotions here give 2 days/year of service) with 0.5 weeks added per year. I use about 3 weeks when you factor in the holidays, occasional Fridays off, miscellaneous time for when family or friends are in town, half days, etc.  The amount of time off doesn't bother me since my schedule prevents me from taking more than that, my problem with vacation time is that I have to request it, get approved, and make sure that I'm not taking too much time off in the eyes of the higher-ups.  I get even more judgment passed on me because I have a bustling out-of-work life with plenty of friends and hobbies. The higher-ups work all the time. So when I'm taking long weekends and extra vacation time beyond the 1 week the higher-ups allocate to themselves I get looks of disappointment. I felt guilty at first but now I don't. While I love my work, I love my personal life more. 

But I still hate getting the looks of disappointment/anger every time I put on vacation time. That is one thing I'm really looking forward to about academia. If I need to take off for something personal or just need some time off to decompress, or help out family or friends. I don't have to formally request anything.  It also opens me up for longer lunches.  So long as I make meetings and classes I get relative freedom. Sure, there will still be judgment and lots of work to make up for, but I won't have to login to the vacation website and request a set number of hours while keeping track of what I have left. There's a quote I've heard before: "academia is great; you can work 80 hours a week whenever you want."  I'm fine with long hours, I just want to work and take time off without requesting it. Something about that website reminds me of how owned I am. And NO PERSON SHALL OWN ME! :)

4 comments:

  1. I came from industry to academia, too. You are spot-on. Being able to come and go as I please is my favorite perk. Every Friday I stay home to watch my daughter and no one gives the stink eye (except my students sometimes ;) ). I never could've done this in industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old co-advisor said that coming in at 10 and leaving at 7 is something he wouldn't trade for the highest level industry position. He likes his sleep too much. I told him about a new policy at my job where you can't come in past 930 and he started cursing in French.

      Delete
  2. Yup thats the spirit and it freedom is just awesome !
    I dont have no boss to ask me where I have been or what I have been doing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only reason I've been dealing with 5 years of post-doccing!!!

      Delete