Thursday, November 7, 2013

Touching bases with the former advisor

My first task was to talk to former mentors and make sure they were good with writing letters of recommendation. Ultimately, this led to my former advisor asking me what my project ideas are for my research statement. Those unfamiliar with getting academics jobs, you need a few crucial documents:

1. Cover letter: explain why you would fit into their department

2. Teaching statement: explain what your philosophies are. Ultimately, you're a teacher. 

3. List of references and CV (side note-how weird is the CV? What other document besides legal ones are you encouraged to put in every last excruciating detail? And just like legal docs, no one reads the whole thing.)

4. Research statement: basically an overview of your specialities, ideas, and (in a way) grant writing abilities.

Now, my advisor wanted to know for one primary reason: so we wouldn't compete. It's apparently frowned upon to be in the same direct field as the guy upstairs (not God...I'm sure God would be fine with me trying to be similar to him). So my old boss had a few comments. On two of my research ideas there wasn't really overlap but he used the comment "I may work on that in the future". I bit my tongue and took it out of my ideas, but that was a serious dick move. 

My relationship with my former advisor is interesting. I really hated him in grad school. I mean, I seriously wanted to hit him at times, and I am far from a violent person. On top of this, I was his best student, by far.  I published a ton, was his local subject expert on a ton of concepts.  The lab mates called me the golden child. But my success caused him to really start using me. Hence the hatred. When I left he started to treat me as a colleague instead of a condom (use me and not realize how important I am). He offered to give any help he could to get me into academia. If someone was received as evil and you hate him, what does it take to get back on your good side? I feel myself actually liking him, but I remember how much I hate him and now I'm conflicted. That's all a long tangent though...

So I wrote my statements and letter and sent it his way. He gave me some very good comments and I think my application packet looks strong. My biggest weakness is my pedigree. I went to two non-great state schools. I feel like I've made up for it with double-digit manuscripts in decent journals and real world experience.  

With this packet I've applied to my first slew of schools. All are R1 looking for faculty with my expertises, and each took a freaking hour to change my app ever so slightly, overcome technical issues, and apply for the positions. I actually feel kind of stressed over this, which is weird because I already have a great job, but I am SO FREAKING PUMPED ABOUT WORKING ON THESE PROJECTS I'M PROPOSING!!!

While I'm waiting on responses from the academic elite I'll write on some other experiences post-PhD. 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere and good luck with the job hunt!

    I think it's pretty common to be conflicted about your advisor, the relationship is not unlike that with a parent. They start by having immense powers and the aura of infallibility about them, end with you discovering they are just as human and full of shit as anyone else. Bottom line, I think you are where you ought to be with him: he's helping with your application and writing you a strong letter.

    I got a PhD from a non-great state school but a great advisor, also double-digit number of publications, and I had interviews the first year, so I think you should be optimistic. And you weren't out of academia for that long.

    Looking fwd to more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, GMP! I really dig your blog: fresh-as-the-farm insights from someone that isn't an old dude.

      I just discovered your blog so I had no idea your 'pedigree' wasn't MIT PhD with a CalTech post-doc. So I'm feeling a little more optimistic now. My advisor isn't well known but I'm making sure that well-known people are throwing me letters. Thanks for reading, even though you won't really benefit from a blog on getting a prof business card to my name. :)

      Delete
  2. I really hate my advisor, too. Your experience sounds really similar to mine. Glad to read that things get better.

    ReplyDelete