Sunday, November 24, 2013

Working your own hours

I remember reading a quote once from a professor who said, "I love that I can make my own schedule in academics. I can work 80 hours a week, any time that I want."

I agree with this principle tremendously. Who cares when or how long you work as long as you get your work done?  Some cultures have a work-til-you drop mentality, where I'm supposed to spend 100 hours a week working, and you're put on a pedestal if you do so. Most medical device companies are like this. And I am not. 

When I'm on my death bed I'm 100% certain that I won't be wishing I spent more time at work. Or reminiscing about what I did while in the lab (except for the fun conversations and screwing around). Untimately, for most us, our impact will be mostly nothing: our work to sit in the Annals of Crazyfield or Society of Upturned Noses Letters getting cited every once in a while. My current work is sitting in patents and products that are actually saving peoples' lives, and making stockholders rich. The products will go down in history, but my name will be forgotten. Now, some scientists and engineers reach great heights, but to reach great heights in specialized fields causes great personal sacrifice. I can't imagine the sacrifice for the rock-stars like Bob Langer at MIT. However, as he's stated, it's a labor of love. A hobbie. I really really love spending all my time with friends and family and hobbies. And even though my work is awesomely fun, it's still not as fun as the things I do outside of work. 

My mentality might be grim, but life is way too short to spend all of it working. If that's what's fun for you, then fine, but I choose to be reminiscing with family and friends, instead of spending Thankgivukkah alone. When I accepted my industry position, my old advisor said something like, "you only get 10 days of vacation?!?".  The minimal vacation time is alright, but making my own hours is the thing I miss the most. If I feel like taking a long lunch to recharge my batteries before the afternoon then I should be able to. And for some reason, every single person that's overworked seems like a total douchebag, and not someone I strive to be. Even if they are leading the company. 

I brought this up with my former advisor and he said not to mention that in any interviews (haha, ME getting interviews), or it'll look like I'm lazy. I don't think it's possible, but there must be a way to prove that you don't have to be addicted to work to be successful. 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it's possible, but there must be a way to prove that you don't have to be addicted to work to be successful.

    Shhh! Of course, it's just something that's not discussed in polite society. Outwardly we all act like we are killing ourselves with work, in reality is we work very hard but have families and lives outside of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Although, I would supplement it with: we also work very hard TO have families and lives outside of work.

    The hard workers (or the ones that are perceived to be) get the big money to better support the family. If I appeared to care more about spending time with family and friends, I don't think I would have been promoted three times in the past year. NOW BEGINS THE ERA OF ME VISIBLY CARING MORE ABOUT MY FAMILY!!! Or maybe I'll just dye my hair gray and put on some makeup that makes me look overworked. I'll get promotions without even trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 days of vacation! I just started my first industry job after my PhD, and I only get 5 days other than vacation days (10)

    ReplyDelete