Thursday, February 13, 2014

Letters for an old mentee

My last year in grad school a high school student started doing volunteer work for my lab. She was a senior trying to get some lab experience and trying to see if the field was a fit for her. She would get out of high school an hour early three times a week to come by the lab. My advisor assigned her to me to find work for her to do.

I trained her in a project that wasn't going in my dissertation, but was necessary to get grants based on my project when I left. (Side note-I did this because I'm a good human being. My dissertation was done, and I stuck around because I still had funding and wanted to make sure my papers were out and the project was in a place where someone could continue it. I owed that much. Even though I had a job lined up, I was willing to hang around an extra 6 months. Students out there, respect your mentors and do the same because what goes around will inevitably come around).  Now, back to the student:

After talking with this student several times, it became pretty obvious how smart she was. Not just for a high school student, but for a junior level undergrad. This made sense given the amount of AP credits she was coming in with. She had very advanced math and physics skills, and she picked up the biology very quickly.  But what struck me were her critical thinking skills, he willingness to do work, her personality, and her maturity. I felt like I was talking to a 23 year old, not a 17 year old. I knew that I had to make sure that she stayed on the correct course for success. I had to make sure that she not only picked STEMs (preferably something that required math...not just bio).  So I put in extra effort with her since she was undecided and I didn't want to drive her away from the field. I turned on the charm, made everything sound amazingly cool, and made sure she thought she was smart and doing well (which she was).  I put in more effort than usual because she was undecided; when student already have a major and have dedicated a lot of time to it, I don't have to put in as much effort, and it's draining to act that pumped up about the research all the time. 

On top of all of this, she was always punctual, never fell behind in topics, and never procrastinated. She managed to manage friends, family, schoolwork, a waitress job, lab work, hobbies, and sports without an issue. After I left grad school we kept in touch for many reasons, part of which was that she needed letters of recommendation. Also, she had become a little sister of sorts, coming to me for advice or just to joke around. 

Her first year in school she started to sway from engineering because of the introductory engineering courses where you learn teamwork and do crappy projects. I'm a professional engineer and I haven't used one skill from that stupid freshman engineering class. Anyways, she still stuck with STEMs, just moved a little more towards a combination of the physical sciences, math, and biology; no more formal engineering education. I'm glad she stuck with STEMs though.  Her second year she was still with it and maintained a 4.0 while getting miscellaneous lab experience and scholarships. This whole time I put in my effort to give her whatever support she wanted. This is something I've done with every student so far, however, there's more of a personal connection with this one (she's like my little sister!).

So she texted me asking me to submit a last second application for an internship. She knows I don't mind last second stuff since the letter is pretty similar for each app but I asked her why she waited so long.  She said relationship issues were getting in the way. 

She has been in three serious relationships in her life, and since I've been a little more around the block I usually give her advice. Sometimes she will give me questions about balancing her personal and professional lives and most of the time she's been able to work through it: not sacrificing her personal life for professional happiness, but correspondingly not letting her personal problems ruin her professional life. This time, her personal problems have gotten in the way. She's a young girl in love with a boyfriend of 6 months and she's spending a lot of time with him and letting any drama get to her. 

I got the letter in with plenty of time but she didn't even start her essays until the due date. Now, I'm a huge fan of work-life balance. I preach it all the time, but I'm starting to get worried that she'll make dumb mistakes that will make her future career more difficult. This has happened before where the students have failed out or struggled to the point where it will be difficult to get a good career, and it kills me each time. This time will be infinitely worse since I've become more attached to this particular student. It's the eternal tug-of-war between you personal and professional lives. I always chose not to let them fight and compartmentalize (I hate that word) my personal and professional lives it's very rare for one life to encroach on the other and I try to dedicate as much time as I can to either one. It's like having two kids.

I've been honest with her and she totally agreed with me because she's smart and reasonable. However, emotions will sometimes take over regardless of how together her head is. I've done dumb things for love, but I've worked very hard to train myself in separating these lives. Maybe I'm just being an overprotective older sibling, but I truly do care about these students.  I guess all I can do is let them make mistakes and be here if they fail...

4 comments:

  1. That was perhaps a bit TMI. Anyways... Young women do all sorts of crap for love and sometimes that hurts their careers... She'll do what she has to do, just be there for her when she needs you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! It was not TMI (though I pulled it anyway)! I read it earlier today before I had a chance to reply, and it really made me feel better that things can get better. That a few missteps can't be corrected. When I see most successful faculty, they never strayed from what's perceived as the 'proper path', that they never took detours, especially ones as big as you talked about. They usually meticulously planned everything with not even a detour to pick up a flower or smell a rose. It made me feel better about my little sis, and about my own path if things don't turn properly this year or next in terms of the search.

    I'll definitely be there for her, it's just a little painful sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she's really as great as you say, then she will find he own way to greatness, just be there when she needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like a familial relationship. If you're too overbearing it will drive her away (perhaps to her new distracting boyfriend). Just sit back and trust that she'll come to you when she needs it.

    ReplyDelete