Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Landed the on-site!

Of the 2 Skype interviews I've had so far, they've both gotten back to me with on-site requests. One is an R2 school in a city I'm not a huge fan of, the other is at an R1 in a city that I truly adore. I'm working on my job talk and I'm a little torn.

I decided on 4 projects that cover a wide range of fields so everyone will be interested at some point (my field is quite interdisciplinary).  One of the projects is my favorite project from my work in industry. Because it's industrial work I have to be very careful.  This project has already had successful animal studies, and this will revolutionize the field.  Most of the impact in the field has been incremental, with two major advances that significantly change patient outcome.  My company has been using small changes to sell more products the past few years.  This product I'm so proud of will change the medical device world.  It will be amazing.  It's patent protected, but other companies don't know how close we are to getting this product ready.

I strongly feel that if I just focus on my grad school work and little things that are in patients in my current position my job talk won't be as strong.  I'm trying my hardest to figure out what to present.  I have my two favorites from grad school, and my future projects.  I feel like showing my current favorite project would really show them that my industrial experience is valuable to them.  But how? Maybe I'll use hypothetical statements...


Outright Rejections (their loss): 9/29
Phone/Skype interviews offered: 11
Phone/Skype interviews accepted: 5
1st campus visits offered: 2
1st campus visits accepted: 2
2nd campus visits offered: 0
2nd campus visits accepted: 0
Offers: 0

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm having so much bad luck trying to break through after a one year post doc and one year in industry. From what I can see you can still discuss the projects if there's been public filing. But only data that is public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I've realized that a lot of this process is luck. Also, if I could go back in time, I would tell young-Phindustry to go to a top-5 school. Young-Phindustry had the credentials but thought that the school didn't matter. I was so focused originally on industry that I didn't think that having a better pedigree would help me get into academia easier.

    I am planning on talking about it, and even showing pictures, but I'm making sure that everything I show is in the public beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete