Saturday, January 11, 2014

My first interview/Talking with academics

In grad school, and during industry interviews, I consistently got the comment of "you seem like you can take control of a project and get it done."  I have a ton of drive, and it definitely showed. The passion for my research was evident. During my first set of faculty interviews I've noticed it's not quite there. I'm having trouble making great, convincing chatter that I deserve a faculty post and can bring in money and get publications.  Right out of grad school I know I could have convinced these search committees but I think industry has done two things to me: diminished my drive, and put me into a rut.

Since I wasn't in the academic mindset when things like grants and progressions of projects came up in recent interviews I felt like I was drawing a blank. And when it came to the projects I was proposing, since I haven't had time to catch up on literature, I was definitely lacking. In grad school I nailed all of these types of questions. I think I still did okay, but I know I could have done better a couple years ago. 

As I've said multiple times, I feel like I'm dumber. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't feel as smart. This might just have to do my loss of motivation in my work, and my overwhelming desire to get into a good academic position.  I noticed I do better in interviews when it seems like I don't really care if I get the job. I think I've been coming off as a desperate graduate student, and can't seem to get out of this funk. 

9 comments:

  1. Keep your head up. You'll find your best fit soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these days, when I give talks and seminars, I am rarely satisfied -- I always find something I should have said or done better. In contrast, I also think I killed it when I interviewed after grad school. The point is, I probably didn't, I just thought I did. Lack of experience tends to make us think better of ourselves than we probably should.

    My point is you are probably better these days than after grad school, if a little worse for wear! :-) People are also less likely to give any kind of a pat on the back to someone who they perceive as seasoned -- even if they think you are awesome, you are officially no longer a baby applicant so they won't be nicer than necessary.

    You probably did better than you think! And of course you will keep getting better and better as you practice your spiel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you killed it during faculty interviews, you got into the ivory tower! :)

      The practiced spiels went very well, even with the plethora of interruptions. My problem came with some random, semi-agressive questions. Now that I know these kinds of questions can pop up, I'll be able to dodge the punches and fight back!

      Delete
    2. Yep, academics are douches, pretty much all around. Especially if the candidate is a woman.

      Delete
  3. Talking with professors always makes me feel stupid. Even if I did well their personalities make me seem I didn't do well. I end up overthinking everything because of it! I'm sure you did better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidentally clicked post.

      thought. Maybe this will teach you to be a professor that shows more praise for a job well done to make things better for students and interviewing post-docs.

      Delete
    2. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind when I get the post I'm looking for!

      Delete
  4. Think of it as another talk instead of a "job talk". You will feel and perform better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my problem was that I was thinking too much! Maybe I'll take a couple sedatives... :)

      Delete