Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Staying up

I have to fly out today to meet with the MD I do most of my studies with.  This was supposed to be next week, but the MD has a last-minute commitment.  So I have to travel last minute.  boo.  I never understood the significance of New Year's Day as a holiday.  It seems so arbitrary.  Up until my early 20s I stood up all night, partied, danced, did the countdown, had a resolution, etc.  But mid-20s I stopped.  I just realized it wasn't as fun, and I could never think of anything I had to change and I didn't think I needed a special day to implement said change.

So I didn't stay up all night.  I watched movies with my spouse and my cute dog; drank some beer a friend brought in from Oregon.  Very fun and relaxing night.  I haven't stayed up past 11pm for quite some time.  And I only stay up that late when there's a hospital study that goes late.

It's not that I can't stay up.  When there's work to be done, I can stay up.  In grad school I regularly had to perform late night or early morning experiments going-until or starting at times of 3am.  It was fun.  In industry, we work pretty standard hours, and I do miss the crazy times a little because I felt like a crazy scientists those times.   Hopefully, I'll have some crazy academic research nights in the near-future.  Wait, what the hell am I saying?!  Actually, maybe I'll just stay in industry... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment