Friday, July 4, 2014

Expanding diversity

I am a big proponent of diversity in STEMs.  First off, we need more bodies in STEM.  The less diverse the field is, the fewer minorities will join.  Given the problems of this world, we need as many people as possible to solve them.  Growth of new ideas, directions for marketing, and progress on projects is stymied when everyone has the same background.

My problem with the current approach is approaching target demographics by using representatives from the target demographic (men recruit men, women recruit women, Latin Americans recruit Latin Americans, etc.).  During grad school and after grad school I have been doing my best to try and infiltrate the specialized organizations to spread awareness and learn all I can about demographics other than my own. My reason for this is 1. It will allow me to better understand what they're going through, 2. Develop strategies best for the specific groups, and 3. It exposes the students to me. Me, being someone different than their groups. My (perhaps misguided) reasoning is if they learn that people of all races and sexes are approachable and want them to succeed they will pick STEMs.  Being from industry also offers them someone outside of academia they can approach. Why any we all just get along?  I know there are hidden discriminations that often people don't know they have, but I wonder what it will take to put everyone on the same level. Is that even achieveable?

I'm doing an outreach thing for a club in my demo and I tried convincing others to team up with a different demo and they aren't hearing it. They think it will dilute our impact. What the heck?  There's got to be a reason, I just can't pinpoint it.

I'm in the airport with a colleague and he thinks that I'm just naive: thinking that people can get over their subconsciouses.  I'll try and get over my naivety while I'm embracing other cultures in my upcoming travels.

PS: Happy Birthday, America!!!

2 comments:

  1. Prejudices will never disappear. Without implanting brain chips to get people over their prejudices, we're going to need special consideration for underrepresented groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still try and think they're at least starting to disappear :)

      Delete