Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Passion=bad

I give great presentations. People are engaged. They understand the topics. The crowd loves me.  Either there's great conversations and laughter because they feel sorry for me, or it's good enough to get the point across and get people thinking.  I choose to believe the latter.  But I've been told it's unprofessional. A friend actually said it can seemed almost like scientific stand-up. I give engaging presentations because I love my work. And because I love my work, I love talking about it. It flows off the tongue with lots of relatable analogies and detailed theory...but also some jokes.

I've been told today my style is 'unprofessional for academia' by a soon-to-be-faculty-mentor at my new school. My thought is the point of presenting the work is to get the point across to as many people as possible. Or sometimes just the important ones. The presentation I gave when I was interviewing was a healthy mix of slides and talking-style geared towards undergrad, grads, and faculty depending on the section and depth. Everyone said they understood it well.

My advisor loved recording my talks because of how easy things were to understand.  And a committee member told me that my defense was the most lively one he's ever been apart of in the 30 years he's been advising.  I started presenting this way early in grad school when I realized that unenthusiastic talks put everyone asleep, and the point of a talk is to get your point across....can't do that if everyone is asleep.  There's a second point to this too: it's unresponsible science to not disseminate your results (usually paid by the public) to the public.  I want to see at least a little effort to keep the audience engaged.  I go the extra mile making my slides and speech great.  A friend thinks people think it's unprofessional because it looks like I'm trying really hard and appear too approachable.  That I need to appear at least a little unapproachable and put in the bare minimum of work.

I may be misinterpreting this, but when I see a drab talk, I immediately think either a) they don't give good talks, b) they don't care that other people are bored, or c) they're unpassionate about their work. I love seeing a speaker that loves their work, and loves to show it.  I'm going to try a find a safe point between talking passionately about my work and trying to get people engaged through humor and the lifeless talks that I've come to expect at most conferences and seminars.  Actually...screw that.  I'm going to present the way I want.  If people are 'too engaged' or 'too entertained' then that's their problem!

3 comments:

  1. Those people are assholes.

    I am in the same boat as you, and believe I do science improv. I joke a lot. But you know what? It's me. I can tell you that undergrads absolutely love me. I have colleagues who would kill for my teaching evaluations. You can kick scientific butt and still crack (bad) jokes. If it's fun for you, it's contagious!

    And there is the additional aspect. You must be a woman, because no one would say to a guy what these folks have said to you. A passionate and engaging guy is passionate and engaging, a woman is unprofessional. Also, the you are too approachable thing. Only a woman gets such crap. What kind of a friend is that douche anyway? (And I would really be wary of that person who's about to be your soon-to-be-mentor. I am dead serious. Find some backup mentors, even if unofficial.)

    You know what? Screw the nay-sayers. Your gut is right. A lively presentation, where the audience is engaged and learning is the best kind of presentation. It's just that women are not supposed to be funny or engaging or professional or whatever (just liek women comedians are supposed to be nonexistent because women are just not funny *eyeroll*). Women scientists are supposed to be dull and bespectacled and ladylike and poised. An engaging and entertaining woman is always taken less seriously, because breathing while being a female scientist will get you taken less seriously. People are primed to take you less seriously. Kick their ass in your own style anyway.

    And screw the negative Ninnies. You are not a kid any more. You are how you are, you present how you present, you are comfortable and effective.

    Do your thing. Kick butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ! Kick Butt. I don't know who would want to listen to boring, unengaged talks !

      Delete
    2. I couldn't change even if I want to. I love my research too much, and everyone needs to know it!

      I have been looking at other professors that can mentor me unofficially. I didn't know this was something people do. Something about a 70 year old dude that hates enthusiasm doesn't appeal, and from my on-site visit, there are plenty others that I will mesh better with.

      Delete