Saturday, December 14, 2013

Collegiate student-athlete

In my undergraduate years I was given the opportunity to play college sports in the NCAA. Hardly anyone showed up to our games because it's not a popular NCAA sport and some of the college was upset because they feel the team was created only to satisfy certain NCAA regulations. Even though that's true, we were good!

That's beside the point. I reached out to a former teammate (we'll call this person FT). FT has a FT TT AP position at an R1 (sorry, I couldn't resist). FT gave me advice that I should quit my job and get a post-doc. What?!?! FT's reasoning is that academics look at industrial folks as sell-outs. We get paid more, have practically unlimited budgets, and no longer work on understanding the world better. Most of that is true, but I know I chose this position explicitly to get real-world experience I could bring to academia since I noticed a lack of real applicability to most engineering research. Most researchers do crazy things then reach pretty far to demonstrate relevance. That's fine (and arguably more fun and useful), but I like making stuff. Especially considering I want to join engineering departments, and engineers build. So I argued that I would bring something different to the lucky department that takes a chance on me. 

FT argued that I have to show that I can be independent, and that industry work is more team-based with unlimited budget. The post-doc would supposedly prove that I can do effective independent research on a smaller budget. Isn't this what my PhD was? I was self-funded and guided. And my former advisor would back me up. 

My current position melds people of different disciplines into a team. And taking one person away from the team results in a sharp decrease in the team's effectiveness. Academia is more like golf: you're on your own. Plus, it can be a little slow (which I really enjoy).  Maybe it's the former-athlete in me, but I don't feel like I have to go solo to prove that I can work well away from my team. As a solo-player, I was good enough to make this team, why not look at my past experience combined with my team experience to prove I can get things done, instead of treating my team experience like a negative?

6 comments:

  1. I have served in a couple of faculty search committees. I do not think you need a post-doc: 1) you have a good number of publications (you have mentioned you are in the double digits), that shows that you can be productive and independent, someone that is not independent cannot publish that much..... 2) you have already directed projects in your job in industry -- so you can direct project as a faculty member, 3) the industry experience brings something different to the table, a good search committee will be able to see that. If for example, if the university has a co-op program, they may see you as someone that can help with that by helping with industry contacts...... No need for the post-doc......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to hoping that search committees think like you! :)

      Delete
  2. What sport did you play? My son is trying to attend college on a soccer scholarship. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I prefer not to mention what sport I played because I try to keep personal detail out of this blog for the most part. I was recruited out of high school so I didn't really have to try much. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but best of luck to you

      Delete
  3. Second first comment, you likely don't need a postdoc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I was never going to take one, it was just the weirdest advice I've gotten. Especially since I have friends doing long post-docs with zero luck in the faculty job market. I prefer to bring something else to the table, and if they don't want this experience, then I don't want them.

    ReplyDelete