Wednesday, December 4, 2013

First faculty interview calls!

I was certain no one but a couple R2 schools would call. I've been getting a fair share of emails from R1s!  They're wanting to schedule Skype and phone interviews!  

I feel excited, but I figured the faculty job was such a long-shot, that I kind of applied without any hope. I've even been making next year's application in the meantime. I guess I should be creating a seminar talk instead. 

What's great about this situation compared to my industry search is that I'm already in a great situation; so I'm not as stressed out. In grad school I had a defense date and knew I didn't want to hang around afterwards. This was for monetary reasons, and I hated my advisor. Because of wanting to get out, I spent every waking moment I could spare thinking about job hunting, and doing all sorts of things online. At interviews I felt quite anxious, even though it didn't show. This time around, I feel confident and excited partially because I'm not as desperate, partially because I'm already in a good place career-wise, and partially because I'm anxious about leaving my cushy industry post. 


Funny Researcher had a count on his/her blog, so I thought I'd do the same:

Phone/Skype interviews offered: 9
Phone/Skype interviews accepted: 0
1st campus visits offered: 0
1st campus visits accepted: 0
2nd campus visits offered: 0
2nd campus visits accepted: 0
Offers: 0

6 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!!! You are a rock star!
    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm sharpening my electric guitar right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visit this page, it has awesome advice on faculty interviews http://scientopia.org/blogs/drbecca/tt-job-search-advice-aggregator/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had this link BEFORE my search! :) Thanks!

      Delete
    2. You will still find the information on that page very useful! it was very useful for me.... I got 5 faculty onsite interviews and then 3 offers, followed by phone calls from the other 2 universities, they were also interested in making an offer.....

      I have been in a couple of search committees, the first screening is quite superficial -- believe me here, they have not read in detail your research plans -- if you have a nice and solid CV, and are a good fit for the position in terms of the area they are looking for, you will get a phone interview. Since you have publications in the double digits, it is expected that you will get quite a few phone interviews. After you have been selected for the phone interviews, then they will read your application. Be ready for some interesting questions on the phone, read the advice on posted on the link.

      Best of luch!

      Delete