Friday, December 13, 2013

What gets done this time of year?

In industry nothing happens right now.  I'm not doing too much since I can't run studies because my techs and clinical collaborators are all taking breaks.  I can't work on new designs since my vendors won't be getting anything done until the new year.  I can't take time off because I need to save vacation time for interviews.  So I'm stuck.  I've been doing some brainstorming and coming up with some new project ideas, but I get tired of brainstorming after a while.

So begins my yearly ritual of reading a ton of articles.  I get to catch up on the newest science.  I remember being busy all of the time in grad school, and with finals, I'm sure professors are busy.  I know that they aren't busy with reviewing faculty apps.  I've gotten several emails saying that things will not happen until the new year.  At this point, is it safe to assume that if the school hasn't queried my references, that they're not interested in me? 

This is also a great time to blast Christmas music and sing along to get in the spirit!  No one's here!  I could run around naked and sing this music if I wanted to!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm on a search committee for a new tenure track assistant professor position, and we are not sending out requests for letters until the start of the new year. We were all too busy this semester, and early January presents a great wealth of free time to review applications and write letters. Don't be discouraged just yet. But this is just my university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon! I'm not really worrying about it, I iust like to know. If it doesn't work out, it's not like I'll be jobless or stuck in a post-doc another year. Part of it is also that I don't want to schedule interviews for schools I'm not really interested in since I have limited vacation days to interview. If I knew my top schools weren't interested then I could confidently accept the interviews for my non-top schools.

    ReplyDelete