Friday, December 13, 2013

Working on next year's app

I'm working on my job talk right now, and I'm deciding to take a break to write about creating next year's app if this talk doesn't land me a solid TT job. 

I've always played things cautiously, occasionally making the big bet. While I have gotten interest from schools (none from my top 10 schools yet), I've been spending time on my app for next year. As I've said in a previous post, I didn't have enough time to create the application package I wanted to submit. Working full-time in a higher-level position left me with little free time for the research and teaching statements. 

In the situation where I can't find the best combination of city and school, I wanted to make sure that I can submit the best possible application next year. I'm even considering creating a home-lab to get some prelim data. I think this is my cautious nature. Will I have time? Probably not. Will I just accept any random R1 TT job? Probably. 

2 comments:

  1. You've only been searching a few months. Don't get discouraged yet. I've been searching for years and holding out hope. We can't lose another potential academic because of getting discouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really getting discouraged, but I prefer to play things safe. I definitely want into academia as soon as possible, but I need to make sure I come more prepared next year.

      Delete